Friday 30 May 2008

Midsummer Night's Dream

"Where is Cobweb" illustration by Arthur Rackham
So doth the woodbine the sweet honeysuckle
Gently entwist; the female ivy so
Enrings the barky fingers of the elm
O! how I love thee; how I dote on thee!
(William Shakespeare)
From: All the World's a Stage
(Written in calligraphy and illustrated by Dorothy Boux)
Midsummer Night's Dream - the most magical of Shakespeare's plays and most often performed in open air theatre's. I have seen it just once at Regent's Park in London and now, with midsummer almost upon us again, I find myself wanting to see it performed again, to watch and listen with clearer vision and greater appreciation.
Here are a few more evocative lines:
I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxslips and the nodding violets grows,
Quite over-canopied with luscious woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses, and with eglantine: